When you are enthusiastic about what you do, you feel this positive energy. It’s very simple.
– Paulo Coehlo
DoB March 9, 1974. Since childhood I sail around the skerries off Kristiansand / Southern Norway. The required skills I received from my grandfather and father. End of 2002 I quit my job in Switzerland and dedicate my working life to seafaring.
I am married and have two kids (2009 & 2012).
As long-term entrepreneur and sailor I am a skilled navigator with farsightedness and distinct leader qualities. My experiences of commanding are ranging from open keelboats on inshore lakes via sail and power driven superyachts cruising coastal areas to ocean crossings on board tallships.
A leader position does not keep me from pulling the ropes and getting my hands dirty if required and from using my versatile social and practical skills for the benefit of team and material. My passion is delivering my enthusiasm for the subject to interested people and ignite a spark in their heart.
Since 2008 my activities focus around 70% on operating in Arctic seas and I am proud to say that I developed into an Arctic sailing specialist beside my solid knowledge of the European coasts.
I speak and write German and English and survive in Norwegian, Italian and French.
- Master unlimited area 200gt STCW II/2
- GOC/GMDSS STCW IV/2 and A-IV/2
- Medical Care STCW A-VI/4-2
- Human Element, Leadership and Management operational level STCW A-II/1, A-III/1 and A-III/6
- Crowd and Crisis Management STCW A-V/2
- Certificate for fitness for sea service STCW A-I/9
- Basic Safety Training STCW A-VI/1-1, A-VI/1-2, A-VI/1-3 and A-VI/1-4
- RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Ocean STCW A-VI/1 Para2.1 endorsed
- RYA Sea Survival Instructor
- RYA SRC Assessor
- RYA First Aid Instructor
- International Certificate of Nautical Competence Class A&B
- A&D licences for Swiss inshore lakes
- PADI AOW Diver
- Certificate of Advanced Studies for contemporary management of small and medium-sized businesses
- Certificate to run gastronomic businesses, incl. HR-Management, accountancy, food handling und hygiene
It’s rare to come across people like Jan who have so much hands on experience, knowledge and professionalism in their work and have such an inspiring personality at the same time. Respect and highly recommended.